Nutritional status of adult Bengalee slum dwellers of Midnapore town, Paschim Medinipore, West Bengal, India
Int. J. Exp. Res. Rev., Vol. 8: 23-28 (2016)
Author: Priyanka Das, Argina Khatun, Ashish Mukhopadhyay, Mithu Bhadra and Kaushik Bose
Abstract: A cross sectional study of 1000 Bengalee adults slum dwellers (male = 494, female = 506) aged 18-81 years of Midnapore town, Paschim Medinipore, West Bengal, India was undertaken to study their age and sex differences in nutritional status. The age range of this study was 18 to 81 years. Subjects were classified into five age groups, each with a width of 10 years. The groups were 18-29.9 (males=238, females=186), 30-39.9 (males=105, females=119), 40-49.9 (males=61, females=98), 50-59.9(males=46, females=55), and >60 (males=44, females=48) years. Two basic variables (height and weight) and a single derived variable (BMI) have been used in the present report. Nutritional status was determined following World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines (WHO, 1995) to facilitate international comparison. The overall frequencies of CED among males and females were 20.85% and 24.31%, respectively. Based on WHO classification, the prevalence of CED among this population was high (20-39%) and thus, the situation is serious in both sexes. These rates were, in general, lower than the recently reported studies.
Key words: Anthropometry, Body Mass Index, Chronic Energy Deficiency, Slum Dwellers.
- Ahmed, S. M., Adams, A., Chowdhury, A.M. and Bhuiya, A. (1998). Chronic energy deficiency in women from rural Bangladesh: some socioeconomic determinants. J. Biosoc. Sci. 30: 349-358.
- Bisai, S., Bose, K., Khatun, A., Ganguli, S., Das, P., Dikshit, S., Pradhan, S. and Mishra, T. Nutritional stress in Kora Mudis of two districts in West Bengal, India-A comparative statement.(a book). Environment Education: global Issues and Policies. Published by A.P.H Publishing Corporation, New Delhi.
- Bose, K., Bisai, S., Das, P., Dikshit, S. and Pradhan, S. (2007). Relationship of Income with Anthropometric Indicators of Chronic energy deficiency among Adult Female Slum dwellers of Midnapore Town. J. Hum. Ecol. 22(2): 171-176.
- Bose, K., Ganguly, S., Mamtaz, H., Mukhopadhyay, A. and Bhadra, M. (2006). High Prevelence of undernutrition among adult Kora Mudi tribals of Bankura District, West Bengal, India. Anthropological Science. 114: 65-68
- Bose, K., Bisai, S., Das, P., Dikshit, S. and Pradhan, S. (2006). Inter relationship of income chronic energy deficiency, morbidity and Hospitalization among Adult Male Slum dwellers of Midnapore Town. J. Biosoc. Sci. 39: 779-786.
- Bose, K. and Chakraborty, F. (2005). Anthropometric characteristics and nutritional status based on body mass index of adult Bathudis: a tribal population of Keonjhar District, Orissa, India. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 14: 80-82.
- Ebada, C.E., Adedoyin, A.R. and Odejide, A. S. (2009). Relationship between Socioeconomic status and Body Mass Index Among Adult Nigerians. AJPARS. 1: 1-6.
- Chakraborty, R., Bose, K. and Bisai, S. (2006). Body mass index and chronic energy deficiency among urban benganlee Male Slum Dwellers of Kolkata, India: Relationship with Family Income. Int. J. Anthropology. 21: 209-215.
- Chakraborty, R., Bose, K. and Bisai, S. (2009). Relationship of family income and house type to body mass index and chronic energy deficiency among urban Bengalee male slum dwellers of Kolkata, India. Journal Homo of Comparative Human Biology. 60: 45-57.
- Clusen, T., Charlton, K. E. and Holmboe-Ottesen, G. (2006). Nutritional status, tobacco used and alcohol consumption of older persons in Botswana. J. Nutr. Health Aging. 10: 104-110.
- Datta Banik, S., Bose, K., Bisai, S., Bhattacharya, M., Das, S., Jana, A. and Purkait, P. (2007). Chronic Energy Deficiency among the Adult Dhimals of Naxalbari, West Bengal –Comparative with other Tribes of eastern India. Food and Nutrition bulletin. 28 (3): 348-352.
- Ferro-Luzzi, A., Sette, S., Franklin, M. and James, W.P.T. (1992). A simplified approach of assessing adult chronic deficiency. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 46: 173-186.
- James, W.P.T., Ferro-Luzzi, A. and Waterlow, J.C. (1998). Definition of chronic energy deficiency in adults. Report of a working party of the International Dietary Energy Consultative Group. Euro. J. Clin. Nutr. 42: 969-981.
- Khongdier, R. (2002). Body mass index and morbidity in adult males of the War Khasi in Northeast India. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 56: 484-489.
- Khongdier, R., Varte, R. and Mukherjee, N. (2005). Body Excess male chronic energy deficiency among adolescents: a cross sectional study in the context of patrilineal and matrilineal societies in Northeast India. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 59: 1007-1014.
- Lee, R.D. and Nieman, D.C. (2003). Nutritional assessment. Mc Graw Hill,New York.
- Loman, T.G., Roche, A.F. and Martorell, R. (1988). Anthropometric Standardization reference
- manual. Human Kinetice Books, Chicago.
- Mittal, P.C. and Srivastava, S. (2006). Diet, nutritional status and food related traditions of oraon tribes of New Mal (West Bengal), India. Rural and Remote Health. 6: 385-395.
- Moy, F.M. and Atiya, A.S. (2003). Waist circumference as a screening tool for weight management: evaluation using receiver operating characteristic curves for Malay students. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 15: 99-104.
- Nube, M., Asenso-Okyere, W.K. and Van-den-Bloom, GJM. (1998). Body mass index as an indicator of standard of living in developing countries. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 77: 1186-1191.
- Pryer, J.A. and Rogers, S. (2006). Epidemiology of undernutrition in adults in Dhaka slum households, Bangladesh. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 60: 815-822.
- Pryer, J.A. and Rogers, S. (2003). Factors affecting nutritional status in female adults in Dhaka slums, Bangladesh. Soc. Biol. 50: 259-269.
- Shetty, P.S. and James, W.P.T. (1994). Body mass index : a measure of chronic energy deficiency in adults. Food and Nutrition paper no.56.Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome.
- World Health Organization (1995). Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Technical Report series no. 854.World Health Organization, Geneva.