Anthropometric characteristics of adult Bengalee slum dwellers of Midnapore town, Paschim Medinipore, West Bengal, India
Int. J. Exp. Res. Rev., Vol. 8: 1-8 (2016)
Author: Priyanka Das, Argina Khatun, Mithu Bhadra, Ashish Mukhopadhyay and Kaushik Bose
Abstract: A cross sectional study of 1000 Bengalee adults slum dwellers (male=494, female=506) aged 18-81 years of Midnapore town, Paschim Medinipore, West Bengal, India was undertaken to study anthropometric characteristics as well as their age and sex differences in anthropometric variables. The age range of this study was 18 to 81 years. Subjects were classified into five age groups, each with a width of 10 years. The groups were 18-29.9 (males=238, females=186), 30-39.9 (males=105, females=119), 40-49.9 (males=61, females=98), 50-59.9(males=46, females=55), and >60 (males=44, females=48) years. Ten anthropometric variables and BMI (kg/m2) have been used in the present report. The sex differences of all the anthropometric variables except waist circumference of slum dwellers are statistically significant at the 0.05 level. The mean differences between age groups of males of HT,WT and HT of females are statistically significant at the level 0.05 but WT of females are not statistically significant (F=1.89, P<0.05).
Key words: Anthropometry, Body Mass Index, Slum Dwellers, Age and Sex Differences.
- Bisai, S., Bose, K., Khatun, A., Ganguli, S., Das, P., Dikshit, S., Pradhan, S. and Mishra, T. (2008). Nutritional stress in Kora Mudis of two districts in West Bengal, india-A comparative statement. (A book). Environment Education: global Issues and Policies. Published by A.P.H Publishing Corporation, New Delhi. Vol-II (Chapter-XIX) 379-389.
- Bisai, S., Bose, K., Ganguli, S., Mumtaz, H., Mukhapadhyay, A. and Bhadra, M. (2008). Sexual dimorphism and age variations in anthropometry body composition and nutritional status among Kora Mudi tribals of Bankura District, West Bengal, India. In: Bose K (Ed). Health and nutritional problems of indigenous populations. Tribes and tribals. 2: 103-109.
- Bose, K., and Mascie-Taylor, C. G. N. (1998). Conicity index and waist hip ratio and their relationship with total cholesterol and blood pressure in middle age European and migrant Pakistani men. Ann Hum Biol. 25:11.
- Bose, K. and Chakraborty, F. (2005). Anthropometric characteristics and nutritional status based on body mass index of adult Bathudis: a tribal population of Keonjhar District,Orissa, India. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 14:80-82.
- Bose, K., Bisai, S., Das, P., Dikshit, S. and Pradhan, S. (2006). Inter relationship of income, chronic energy deficiency, morbidity and Hospitalization among Adult Male Slum dwellers of Midnapore Town. J. Biosoc. Sci. 39:779-786.
- Bose, K., Ganguly, S., Mamtaz, H., Mukhopadhyay, A. and Bhadra, M. (2006). High Prevalence of undernutrition among adult Kora Mudi tribals of Bankura District, West Bengal, India. Anthropological Science. 114: 65-68.
- Ebada, C. E., Adedoyin, A. R. and Odejide, A. S. (2009). Relationship Between Socioeconomic status and Body Mass Index Among Adult Nigerians. AJPARS. 1: 1-6.
- Chakraborty, R., Bose, K. and Bisai, S. (2006). Body mass index and chronic energy deficiency among urban Bengalee Male Slum Dwellers of Kolkata, India: Relationship with Family Income. Intl. J. Anthropology. 21: 209-215.
- Chakraborty, R., Bose, K. and Bisai, S. (2009). Relationship of family income and house type to body mass index and chronic energy deficiency among urban Bengalee male slum dwellers of Kolkata, India. Journal HOMO of Comparative Human biology. 60: 45-57.
- Khongdier, R. (2002). Body mass index and morbidity in adult males of the War Khasi in Northeast India. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 56: 484-489.
- Khongdier, R., Varte, R. and Mukherjee, N. (2005). Body Excess male chronic energy deficiency among adolescents: a cross sectional study in the context of patrilineal and matrilineal societies in Northeast India. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 59: 1007-1014.
- Kopelman, P.G. (2000). Obesity as a medical problem. Nature. 404: 635-643.
- Loman, T.G., Roche, A.F. and Martorell, R. (1988). Anthropometric Standardization reference manual. Human Kinetice Books, Chicago.
- Singh, I. P. and Bhasin, M.K. (2004). A Manual of Biological Anthropology .Delhi : Kamla-Raj Enterprises.
- Weiner, J.S. and Lourie, J.A. (1981). Practical Human Biology. London: Academic Press.
- Ulijaszek, S. J. and Kerr, D. A. (1999). Anthropometric measurement error and the assessment of nutritional status. British Journal of Nutrition. 82: 165-177.
- World Health Organization. (1995). Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Technical Report series no. 854.World Health Organization, Geneva.